Whole-Wheat Chocolate-Filled Pastry with Cocoa Nibs
The less caloric version of a chocolate-filled pastry with lower fat and sugar content, and higher protein, fiber, mineral, and antioxidant content – all thanks to cocoa nibs.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar (or ⅓ tsp. stevia)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp softened butter (or ghee)
- ⅓ cup cocoa nibs (or dark chocolate)
In a bowl, mix flour with baking powder, yogurt, applesauce and softened (not melted) butter.
Knead the lump-free dough by hand and divide into 8 pieces. Press each dough piece by hand, fill with cocoa nibs (or dark chocolate) and crimp the edges.
Place the filled pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 220 degrees Celsius (425 °F) for 20 minutes.
• If you use chocolate – it will melt inside
• If you use cocoa nibs – they will be softer, but won’t melt